How to disable the Google Assistant is something that many users are constantly asking themselves, as they find it to be an unhelpful or annoying application.
Well, although it is a great tool for ordering quick commands by voice, it also generates data consumption if it is not connected to a wireless network. That’s why, in the guide that follows, it is explained how to disable it on your device, in a simple and fast way.
Now, even if the Google Assistant is disabled, it will still be available for activation at any time by pressing and holding the “Home” button on your Smartphone.
Therefore, below, it is explained how to completely disable it on phones with Android OS. Also, if it is paired with a device on Google Home, you will also learn how to disable this feature.
Disable the Google Assistant
To disable the Google Assistant you need to enter the options menu. However, this is not something that is visible to the naked eye on the device, so you will need to follow the instructions below to achieve this:
- Press and hold the “Home” button and say “Open assistant settings”.
- Click on the “Assistant” tab.
- Scroll all the way down to find Assistant devices and click “Phone”.
- Turn off the “Google Assistant” switch.
In this simple way you can disable the Google Assistant in a couple of minutes. Now, you need to keep in mind that you need an internet connection to be able to do this. This function will remain available to be reactivated at any time you want. So, in case you want to completely eliminate this possibility, you should keep reading.
Disable the assistance button
To completely deactivate the Google Assistant and prevent it from being reactivated at any time, you will need to access the settings menu of your Smartphone. Next, you need to follow the steps described below.
It is important to clarify that the path or options may vary on each device, depending on the Android version, model or brand.
- Go to “General Settings”.
- Find the “Applications” section and click on it.
- Tap “Advanced Options”.
- Select “Application Defaults”.
- Now press “Voice input and assistant”.
- Click on “Support Application”.
- In the pop-up window that will appear, select “None”.
This will completely disable the activation of the Google Assistant and it will not appear, even if you hold down the “Home” button. It is important to clarify that this process can be reversed at any time by simply repeating the process in reverse.
Disable on Google Home devices
If you have a smart device at home that Google Home is connected to, you may want to disable the voice assistant. However, you should know that, in this type of equipment, it is not possible to do this permanently, but you can schedule the deactivation at certain times of the day via the “Inactivity” function. Find out how to do it below:
- Open Google Home on your device.
- Tap “Home”.
- Select the device on which you want to apply the changes.
- Click the Settings icon (the gear).
- Go to Digital Wellness> New Hours.
- Select the devices you want to apply it to and press “Next”.
- Choose a schedule or create one based on your daily routine and press “Next”.
- Set the start time and end time for wizard inactivity. Then press “Next”.
- Press “Done”.
This way your devices will be programmed and the Assistant will turn off automatically, in the time and day range you chose during the process. If you change your mind, you can undo any changes you made by following the same path, but eliminating inactivity.
As you can see, disabling the Google Assistant is very quick and easy, as is disabling its toggle button. You just have to follow the steps mentioned in this guide and you will be able to do it successfully.