You normally use Chrome to browse, but then they pass you a link on WhatsApp or Twitter and it pops up from the web browser that the phone comes factory pre-installed.
Has it ever happened to you? When we buy a new Android mobile, it always comes configured with a default web browser. In today’s post we will see how to change it easily.
Unfortunately this is a feature that needs to be changed by hand. Below we explain how to make the change for the Internet browser, although the method can be transferred to any other application that the Android system uses by default, such as the launcher, PDF reader or image gallery app.
How to change the default web browser on an Android mobile
Android has a good number of top-notch browsers. Personally I’m a huge fan of Firefox Focus and Opera, although there are also great ones like Dolphin.
If you are tired of Android always using the same browser every time you click on a link, follow these simple steps.
- Open the Android “Settings” menu.
- Click on “Applications and Notifications”.
- Choose the “Default Applications” option.
- Select “Browser Application”.
A list with all browsers installed on the device will be displayed. To change browser simply check the corresponding box.
Each version of Android is different, so if we can’t change the browser in the way just mentioned, we can also try the following:
- Reopen the Android “Settings” menu.
- Go to “Applications and notifications”.
- Open the drop-down menu to see all applications installed on your device.
- Find the browser you want to use by default from now on and click on it to view the application details.
- Enter the “Browser Application” option and select your new default browser.
Note: On some devices, this option may appear under the name “Default Application” or similar.
Change the browser on Samsung Galaxy phones
If we have a smartphone from the Samsung Galaxy series, the process is much faster and more direct:
- Open the “Settings” menu of your Samsung Galaxy device.
- Go to “Applications -> Choose default apps”.
- Click on “Browser Application” and choose the app you want to use to browse the Internet from now on.
This way, when you open the link to a website, it will open in your default browser without being prompted. Of course, if you install a new browser, the configuration restarts and you will be shown the “Open with” window again.