Archive, sync and edit files. Google Drive is one of the best services to perform these important tasks, so that the most important thing is accessible from anywhere, anytime and safely. In addition, it constantly grows in functions. You can now block other users on Google Drive. We show you how it works and how to do it.
Google Drive allows both individuals and organizations to store, share and collaborate from anywhere. Drive’s sharing features increase productivity and collaboration, but some malicious users may be abusing tools designed to facilitate useful sharing. How can you block another user from Google Drive?
Blocking users in Google Drive is now possible, here’s how it works
In May, Google announced what it called a series of updates to “provide Google Workspace users and administrators with advanced threat analysis and anti-abuse capabilities.” One of these features is the ability to block another user from Google Drive.
You can do many things yourself with the Google platform, but much of the true power of the storage service lies in its collaborative aspects, especially if you use some of Google’s paid offerings, such as Workplace or G Suite Business. However, the sharing policy needs to change.
There are no restrictions or a second level of confirmation for sharing something with another person. Google will now allow blocking of other users in Drive, a solution necessary to protect private or confidential data.
The feature has officially started rolling out, and thankfully it’s not limited to paid subscription accounts only. Free personal accounts are getting it too, which is appreciated.
How can I block another user from Google Drive? Limit sharing
To block another user in Google Drive you just have to right-click on some unwanted content shared by that user and then press the “block” option.
These are the detailed steps you need to follow to block someone in Google Drive in the web version to restrict access to your files:
- Open Google Drive.
- Right-click the file shared by the user you want to block.
- In the options menu that appears, click “Block (mail)”.
- In the window that opens, confirm the operation by clicking on “Block”.
Once this action is performed, three things will happen:
- Prevent another user from sharing content with you in the future. This can be a useful check if, for example, another user has a history of sending spam or offensive content
- Delete all existing files and folders shared by another user. This is an easy way to get rid of all the spam or offensive content shared by a specific user at the same time
- Remove someone else’s access to your content, even if you’ve previously shared it with these accounts
If you change ide and want to unlock. You can do it like this:
- Open Google Drive.
- Click on your profile photo, top left.
- Go to “Manage Google Accounts”.
- Go to “Contacts and Shared Information”> “Blocked”.
- Find the name of the person you want to unblock and click the “Remove X” button.
Without a doubt, it’s a great option that Google has added to its storage service for collaborative options. How many times have you received unwanted content from a user without knowing it at all? Or failing that, how many times have you shared content that you no longer want to share with a user? Now you can completely prevent this from happening.